Huckleberry Youth Programs Celebrates 50 Years of Serving At-Risk Youth!
We are extremely pleased to announce the 50th Anniversary of our flagship program, Huckleberry House, the first shelter for runaway youth in the United States.
Our first 50th Anniversary celebration, a Kick Off Party on Thursday, Jan. 26 at Delancey Street Restaurant, was attended by Huckleberry staff, Board Members, and community partners. Our Executive Director, Douglas Styles, reminded guests of the continued need and importance of the programs that we offer to youth in San Francisco and Marin and announced our upcoming 50th Anniversary events. See photos from the Kick Off event here
We plan to commemorate our 50th Anniversary with celebratory events throughout 2017 including:
- Saturday, May 20: Benefit Concert featuring many Bay Area performers at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco.
- Sunday, June 18: Page Street Block Party from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm featuring music, food trucks, community partners, and vendors. Huckleberry House, our 24-hour crisis shelter, will be open for tours.
- Thursday, November 30: Huckleberry 50th Anniversary Gala at the Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco.
Huckleberry House opened its doors during the “Summer of Love.”
Other organizations are celebrating that special summer in San Francisco’s history throughout 2017 including:
- It’s Your District: It’s Your District (IYD) is presenting the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love, a legendary phenomenon remembered throughout the world as a counterculture gathering in San Francisco, most notably the Haight-Ashbury district, in a celebration of life and love.
- California Historical Society: On the Road to the Summer of Love, (May 12, 2017 – September 10, 2017) In celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Summer of Love, we look back at the cultural movements and events that led up to this transformative moment in California history.
- de Young Museum: The Summer of Love Experience: Art, Fashion, and Rock & Roll will be an exhilarating exhibition of iconic rock posters, photographs, interactive music and light shows, costumes and textiles, ephemera, and avant-garde films. (April 8 – August 20, 2017).